[Pw_forum] Quick question on coordinates

Miguel Marti­nez miguel.martinez at ehu.es
Wed Feb 27 17:21:30 CET 2008

Dear Paolo,

First of all thanks for your helpful answer. In any case, if
flib/latgen.f90 says:

else if (ibrav == 12) then
      sen=sqrt(1.d0-celldm(4)**2)
      a1(1)=celldm(1)
      a2(1)=celldm(1)*celldm(2)*celldm(4)
      a2(2)=celldm(1)*celldm(2)*sen
      a3(3)=celldm(1)*celldm(3)

Then the documentation seems to have sin(gamma) and cos(gamma) mixed for
ibrav=12. Nothing harmful, though.

Paolo Giannozzi escribió:
> The case ibrav=13 has been corrected more than once by the way.
> If you have evidence that there is something wrong above, please
> explain what exactly and why

Truth to be said, the only evidence I have is my lack of skill in putting
the coordinates of a C2/C crystal in ibrav=13, when the full positions work
OK in ibrav 12. I must be doing something very very silly.

By the way, I'm sure there is a reason why the special axis in quantum
espresso is c while the tables love to use axis b. Even if the answer is
like, "if crystallographers don't put 2\pi everywere, we don't like their
basis sets".

Miguel Martínez Canales
    Dto. Física de la Materia Condensada
    UPV/EHU
    Facultad de Ciencia y Tecnología
    Apdo. 644
    48080 Bilbao (Spain)
Fax:  +34 94 601 3500
Tlf:  +34 94 601 5326

  "If you have an apple and I have an apple and
  we exchange these apples then you and I will
  still each have one apple. But if you have an
  idea and I have an idea and we exchange these
  ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

  George Bernard Shaw