[Pw_forum] structure optimization

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:49:25 CET 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Dongdong Kang wrote:

DK> Dear Paolo
DK>

DK>   Thank you for your answer, but I still have some questions. As you
DK> konw there are several options for ion_dynamics in input file of CP
DK> code , such as 'sd','cg','damp','verlet'. I want to know which
DK> option can implement dynamic simulation annealing. and is there
DK> option in input file to choose or change cooling rate with nose
DK> thermostat ?

to get a specific annealing strategy, you will have to program
it yourself. QE provides a framework, but it does not have every
imaginable feature right from input parameters.

if you are simply after geometry optimizations, both cg and damp
will serve you well.

one more general note, i've been noticing recently, that quite a few
people tend to use the word "implement" when they actually
mean "use". amongst people who write software, "implement" is usually
interpreted as "program", i.e. writing source code and not
using it.

i hope that may clear some confusions.

cheers,
   axel.