[Pw_forum] About parallel problem on SGI Altix 3700

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Thu Feb 14 09:49:30 CET 2008

On Thu, February 14, 2008 03:46, Chao wrote:
> But my job only ran on one CPU, and some messages were listed:
> MPI: could not run executable (case #3)
> MPI: No details available, no log files found

It looks like you did not compile the parallel version of the code (which
happens when ./configure cannot detect mpi libraries), or you did some
mistake in the mpi configuration (is the binary present on all
computers?).

Does the configure script shows these lines at the end:
  Parallel environment detected successfully.
  Configured for compilation of parallel executables.

> When I complied PWscf, some errors appeared when make all:
> IPO Error: unresolved : mpi_conversion_fn_null_
>         Referenced in ../Modules/parallel_include.o
>         Referenced in ../Modules/ptoolkit.o
>         Referenced in libiotk.a(iotk_error.o)

You can disable Interprocedural Optimizations (IPO) with the option
-no-ipo. IPO is usually a source of troubles; it didn't worked at all on
some versions of ifort (maybe 9.0).

Please give us more details, like you configure output, compiler and mpi
flavour.

regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto