[Pw_forum] espressocvs question(s)

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Thu Feb 7 10:26:13 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 6:51 , Paul M. Grant wrote:

> I’ve noticed that the folders examples and pseudo (maybe some
> others?) are missing from the espressocvs distro…???

the cvs snapshot I uploaded some time ago on the download page is not
complete
with examples and pseudos, I don't remember why. As soon as the
download page
is updated to something more functional, I'll upload a new complete
cvs snapshot,
together with the stable version that has unfortunately disappeared
into the
"previous versions" section. Sorry for the mess.

> For some time I’ve been curious about the contents of the folder
> “tests”…some of the “IN” files are interesting…is there a “guide”
> to tests and why it exists?

there is no "guide" and there will never be one, I guess. The tests
directory
is an attempt to write better automated tests than those presently
available
in the 'tests and examples' directory examples/. Tests should be
- fast to execute (i.e. tens of minutes at most, not hours)
- exhaustive (i.e. test all features)
- modular (i.e. test a single code at the time)
- boolean (i.e. the result should be ok or not ok)
Examples should be
- realistic (i.e. reflect real-life cases)
- simple to read and to understand
What is contained in examples/ iobeys to none of the above criteria.
This is why
I started to write tests/ . I am quite satisfied with the result, but
unfortunately only
pw.x is covered. Attached: the results of tonight's tests

Paolo