[Pw_forum] NEB vs 'direct' approach

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Tue Feb 5 20:24:14 CET 2008

Dear Pawel:

your findings sound rather weird to me. I would have expected the
contrary. At convergence, the NEB should produce the "Minimum Energy
Path" (MEP), i.e. the path whose transition state has minimum energy
(with respect to the transition states of all the other neighboring
paths). I think this is discussed at length in the original literature,
but it is enough to think to the defintinition of the MEP, a path for
which the force is at any point tangent to the trajectory. Imagine of
following such a path while climbing a mountain pass, and you will
convince yourself easily that this path actually passes through the saddle.

I do not know why you find a different result. An error in the QE
implementation of the NEB would be an obvious explanation. Another
possibility is that the discretization that you have (by necessity!)
chosen to sample your "direct" path is so coarse that it actually misses
the point of largest energy along the path, which is exactly what the
prefix "CI" (for "climbing image") in the CI-NEB acronym is meant to avoid.

Hope this helps
Yours - Stefano B.