[Pw_forum] Code for atomic positions of a supercell

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 15:45:25 CET 2008

Dear Padmaja,

> I need to find out the atomic positions of a supercell. can
> anybody suggest me a code for that purpose?

You do not need any code to do it, all you need is the knowledge of basis vectors and atomic positions in the unit cell, then just extend these positions according R'=R0+J*a+K*b+L*c, where a,b,c are basis vectors, R0 are original atomic positions, J,K,L are translations along a,b,c vectors.

Nevertheless, if you feel this is quite incredible job for you (that is the worst case) have a look at Dario Alfe's webpage
http://chianti.geol.ucl.ac.uk/~dario/
 download his phonon code  and learn how to get atomic positions in a supercell.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com