[Pw_forum] projwfc problem: sum of pdos doesn't match total dos

J. D. Burton jlz101 at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Aug 20 17:09:51 CEST 2008

Derek,

Why would you need to calculate more than 8 bands? (1 s-state + 3 p-states)
x 2 C atoms per unit cell = 8 bands, and half of them are doubly-occupied.
By setting nbnd = 20 (10 per atom in the unit cell) you get all the way up
into d-like-bands, and your pseudopotential file doesn't contain atomic
d-wavefunctions of carbon. That would explain why the sum of your projected
dos doesn't match your total density, i.e. the extra peaks are d-bands.

Cheers,
J. D.

J. D. Burton, Ph.D.
jlz101 at unlserve.unl.edu
University of Nebraska Lincoln
Physics and Astronomy
Office Ph. (402) 472 2499
213C Ferguson Hall
"The job of a scientist is to generate wrong ideas as fast as possible."
-- Murray Gell-Mann