[Pw_forum] Finite electric field calculation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 4 07:34:23 CEST 2008

Dear Hanghui,

Paolo Umari might be better suited to answer the first question - he
has fixed a few things lately, mostly to allow fields in arbitrary
directions (I think).

On the second one, I might be more helpful - as the electric field
increases, or the k-point sampling becomes finer, the system will fall
into a "runaway" solution, and not converge. This is the computational
counterpart of the fact that in a periodic system in an electric field
the energy is strictly unbound from below (that's where you "run away" -
an inescapable fall into the abyss that silently awaits). The ground
states of  the electric enthalpy are interpreted as the metastable
solutions corresponding to a physical system in which you adiabatically
turn on a field, and whose actual lifetimes can be much longer that
any experiment would be.

Details in abundance in the 2002 (?) PRLs of Umari/Pasquarello and
of Souza/Iniguez/Vanderbilt, plus I believe later PRBs from the same
groups.

				nicola