[Pw_forum] Compiling ESPRESSO 3.2.3 on Mac OS X PPC

jtmullen at ncsu.edu jtmullen at ncsu.edu
Thu Apr 24 17:52:28 CEST 2008

Greetings,

I am attempting to compile ESPRESSO 3.2.3 on my Mac in debug mode so that
I can step through the code to become familiar with various function
implementations. I cannot get it to compile, though I can compile my own
fortran programs with the compiler configuration. I confess that though I
can follow MAKE somewhat, I am very unfamiliar with autoconf, so I hope
that the solution is obvious and I am just missing it.

Details of machine configuration
Max OS X 10.4 PPC
GCC 4.0 installed via Fink using gfortran installed at /sw/bin/gfortran

Command line configure
./configure F90=/sw/bin/gfortran F77=/sw/bin/gfortran
       (I tried only setting F90, but this caused more problems)

Output
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0
checking architecture... macppc
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the Fortran 77 compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether /sw/bin/gfortran accepts -g... yes
checking for mpxlf90... no
checking for mpf90... no
checking for /sw/bin/gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
setting F90... /sw/bin/gfortran
setting MPIF90...
..... DELETED SUCCESSFUL HEADER FILE CHECKS FOR BREVITY......

checking size of int *... 4
checking malloc.h usability... no
checking malloc.h presence... no
checking for malloc.h... no
checking for /sw/bin/gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
setting F77...
setting FFLAGS... -O4 -qarch=auto -qtune=auto -qsuffix=cpp=f90 -qdpc
-qalias=nointptr
setting F90FLAGS... $(FFLAGS) -qfree=f90
setting FFLAGS_NOOPT... -O0
setting CFLAGS... -O3
setting CPP... cpp
setting CPPFLAGS... -P -traditional
setting LD...
setting LDFLAGS...
setting AR... libtool
setting ARFLAGS... -static -o
setting ARFLAGS_DYNAMIC...-dynamic -arch_only ppc -all_load -single_module
-L/opt/ibmcmp/xlf/8.1/lib -lxlf90 -lxl -lc -o
checking whether Fortran files must be preprocessed... no
checking how to get verbose linking output from ... configure: WARNING:
compilation failed

checking for Fortran libraries of ...
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... configure: error: cannot
compile a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.

The config.log file is huge, but I can certainly post some of it if
someone can make use of it. Has someone compiled the code on a machine
configured like mine and, if so, can you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks
Jeff Mullen
Graduate Student
Dept of Physics