[Pw_forum] OpenMPI on mac

Riccardo Sabatini sabatini at sissa.it
Tue Apr 22 15:18:34 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

     i'm starting in these days to setup a little cluster (well, just
two intel mac dual
core, osx 10.5.2) to learn how parallel processing works. I'm working
with the espresso
version 4.0 and i have Intel Fortran compiler (v10) and gcc from the
developers tools
(xcode 2.5, gcc 4.01) on both the machines.

     I downloaded and compiled OpenMPI and i'm pretty sure it works
fine on both computer
(i tried with a very simple program from the openmpi website). Now i
tried to compile QE
with all the wrappers (mpif90, mpicc, mpicxx, mpif77) in the make.sys,
at least that's
what the openmpi suggests to do in their FAQ. The compilation runs
perfectly but when i
try to run a simple simulation the programs fails with this error message

*** An error occurred in MPI_Comm_f2c
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
[rikis-macbook.local:56606] Abort before MPI_INIT completed
successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!

     The command i use is

     mpirun -np 2 $PWROOT/bin/pw.x < si.scf.in

     and i run it on just one mac (my laptop). To be precise i can see
two times the
error, as if both the processes break for the same problem. I
understood the problem is
the fortran-c handler but i really have no idea how to fix this. I
haven't worked yet on
the real cluster but i think if it's not working with the dual core
alone no hope with
the rest....

     Waiting for your news, thanks a lot for the help. Kind regards,

                 Riccardo