[Pw_forum] Resource usage on Single CPU vs MPI

Charles Chen polynmr at physics.unc.edu
Thu Apr 10 19:51:38 CEST 2008

Dear pwscf users,

I am using CVS2 on IA64+linux cluster, complied with MPICH.

I can have some tutorial sample (si.scf.in) done but frequently get
warning from our administrator on using too much resources.

Is this difference reasonable?

Here is the resources usage excerpt from the output file:

for single processor:

> Resource usage summary:
>
>     CPU time   :   1680.30 sec.
>     Max Memory :         4 MB
>     Max Swap   :        12 MB
>
>     Max Processes  :         1
>     Max Threads    :         1
for two processors used:
> Resource usage summary:
>
>     CPU time   :  11781.85 sec.
>     Max Memory :       110 MB
>     Max Swap   :     59562 MB
>
>     Max Processes  :         6
>     Max Threads    :         6
Thanks!

Charles Chen

--
NMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMRNMR
NMR		Dr. Qiang "Charles" Chen		    NMR