[Pw_forum] How to calculate the d-band center?

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Apr 4 12:17:24 CEST 2008

calculate the first moment of the DOS, using some arbitrary cutoff at
the low- and high-energy sides of the d bands, as assigned by visual
inspection. The second moment would give the width (kind of). SB

On Apr 4, 2008, at 5:20 AM, Fan Yang wrote:

>  Dear everyone,
>          Does anyone know how to calculate the d-band center of
> transition metals? According to the Friedel Model, the d-band is
> treated as a rectangular density of states centred on energy a with
> width W . However, the PDOS we obtained from calculation is usually
> irregular with sharp peaks, not a rectangular. Then comes to the
> question:  how to decide the range of d-band energy by applying
> rectangular model ?  how to get the d-band center from PDOS?
>          Thanks inadvance.
> Fan Yang
> PH.D Candidate in Electrochemistry
> College of Chemistry and Molecular Science
> Wuhan University,430072,Hubei Province,China
> E-mail:shrek_826 at yahoo.com.cn

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)