[Pw_forum] question pertaining to subroutine regterg

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Thu Apr 3 16:53:24 CEST 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 22:43 , willy kohn wrote:

> One is in the subroutine, the variables psi and hpsi are declared
> as complex(dp),
> however, they are used as parameters to call the  Lapack subroutine
> DGEMM,
> which requires real numbers.

a vector of N complex numbers is equivalent to a vector of 2N real
numbers

> The other one is about the diagonalization of the reduced
> hamiltonian hr, which is
> declared as a real symmetric matrix in the subroutine. But in
> general, the
> wavefunction psi is complex, how can we guarentee all the elements
> in the matrix
> is real?

at k=0 the wavefunctions are real in real space, so the hamiltonian
is also real

Paolo
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222