[Pw_forum] Is Electronic-Enthalpy Functional for Finite Systems Under Pressure implemented in espresso-3.2?

Hongjun Xiang xianghjun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:06:54 CEST 2007

Dear Dr. Cococcioni and others,
I tried some test calculations and realized that the pressure changes
the electronic structure and thus
decreases the volume of the system. If I am interested in the band gap
of a finite system under pressure, which method of the followings is
correct?
(1) Relax the structure under the pressure, and calculate the gap using
the relaxed structure under the pressure.
(2) Relax the structure under the pressure, and calculate the gap using
the relaxed structure without the pressure.

It turns out the results from the above procedures are different.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Hongjun Xiang

H. J. Xiang