[Pw_forum] "Wrong atomic coordinates" message

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 16:28:36 CEST 2007

Dear Sergei,

--- Sergey Levchenko <levuser at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I am terribly sorry, I made a mistake in my input
> file. With the coordinates> specified in that file
>(Li 0.5 0.5 0.5, H 0.6 0.00.0) I also don't >get the
error message. The problem seems to occur >only for
atomic coordinates (Li
> 0.5 0.5 0.5, H 0.5 0.0 0.0).

Exactly, because these two positions are equivalent
in combination with basis vectors you used. Just draw
an FCC lattice (cubic cell) on a piece of a paper and
you immediately can see that they are equivalent if
you shift atom (0,0,1/2) along [110] direction.

If you use basis vectors for simple cubic lattice, no
error message appeares.

So, check your atomic positions again or basis
vectors.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sergey Levchenko,
> University of Penn.
>

> On 9/12/07, Xunlei Ding <ding at sissa.it> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Eyvaz,
> >
> > Yes, I did the same test as you, and no error like
> "Wrong atomic
> > coordinates" was found.
> > But when I used xcrysten to see the input file,
> > it was found that the distance between H and Li is
> about 0.4A.
> > I am not sure whether some versions of espresso
> will think this too
> > close distance as "Wrong atomic coordinates".
> >
> > My suggestion to Sergey is:
> > at first, check what Eyvaz has said , ie "Check
> your own file in your
> > computer whether it contains any extra symbol at
> the end of a line
> > (usually ^M due to DOS, Windows).".
> > If no problem, then add "crystal" to the line
> "ATOMIC_POSITIONS" to see
> > what will happen.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ding
> >
> > Eyvaz Isaev wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Sergei,

> is >
> > >>

> > >alat, but that is still in cartesian coordinates,

> crystal?
> > >>

> > >No, the error is not related to specifing atomic
> > >coordinates either in cartesian or wrt lattice
> > >vectors. Of course, you will find incorrect
> symmetry
> > >if you setup atomic positions improperly. This
> will
> > >result in incorrect total energy.
> > >
> > >Actually I used your input file, except
> > >Pseudopotentials name, but did not observe any
> message
> > >like you mentioned (more strictly, no message).
> So,
> > >your input file looks correct. Check your own
> file in
> > >your computer whether it contains any extra
> symbol at
> > >the end of a line (usually ^M due to DOS,
> Windows).
> > >Use "vi" editor for this purpose.
> > >It might also be you need an extra blank at the
> > >beginning of these lines.
> > >
> > >Bests,
> > >Eyvaz.

> Could

=== message truncated ===>

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia, and
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com