[Pw_forum] "Wrong atomic coordinates" message

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 15:51:44 CEST 2007

Hi Ding,

--- Xunlei Ding <ding at sissa.it> wrote:
> Yes, I did the same test as you, and no error >like
"Wrong atomic  coordinates" was found. But >when I
used xcrysten to see the input file, it was >found
that the distance between H and Li is about >0.4A. I
am not sure whether some versions of >espresso will
think this too close distance as >"Wrong atomic
coordinates".

As on can see from the 4 lines provided below
setup.f90 actually checks whether two atoms have the
same coordinates. But what you suggested is not the
case.

##### from setup.f90
  ! ... Test that atoms do not overlap
  !
  IF ( .NOT. ( lchk_tauxk( nat, tau, bg ) ) ) &
  CALL errore( 'setup', 'Wrong atomic coordinates ', 1
)

If atoms are not overlapped (i.e. have different
coordinates) then  lchk_tauxk is true.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

> My suggestion to Sergey is:
> at first, check what Eyvaz has said , ie "Check your
> own file in your
> computer whether it contains any extra symbol at the
> end of a line
> (usually ^M due to DOS, Windows).".
> If no problem, then add "crystal" to the line
> "ATOMIC_POSITIONS" to see
> what will happen.
>
> Best regards,
> Ding
>
> Eyvaz Isaev wrote:
>
> >Hi Sergei,
> >
> >--- Sergey Levchenko <levuser at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I think I know what my mistake was. I specified
> >>atomic_positions card with default option which is
> >

> >alat, but that is still in cartesian coordinates,
> >

> >>right? I wanted to specify in the basis of the
> >>lattice vectors. Do I have to  use option crystal?
> >>

> >No, the error is not related to specifing atomic
> >coordinates either in cartesian or wrt lattice
> >vectors. Of course, you will find incorrect
> symmetry
> >if you setup atomic positions improperly. This will
> >result in incorrect total energy.
> >
> >Actually I used your input file, except
> >Pseudopotentials name, but did not observe any
> message
> >like you mentioned (more strictly, no message). So,
> >your input file looks correct. Check your own file
> in
> >your computer whether it contains any extra symbol
> at
> >the end of a line (usually ^M due to DOS, Windows).
> >Use "vi" editor for this purpose.
> >It might also be you need an extra blank at the
> >beginning of these lines.
> >
> >Bests,
> >Eyvaz.
> >

> >>Here is my input:
> >>
> >>LiH
> >>&CONTROL
> >>  calculation = 'scf'
> >>  restart_mode    =  'from_scratch'
> >>  prefix      = 'lih'
> >>  pseudo_dir  = '/workspace/lev/PWSCF/LiH'
> >>  outdir      = '/workspace/lev/PWSCF/LiH'
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia, and
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com