[Pw_forum] Atom Mass in vc-relax or relaxation

Cesar R.S. da Silva cesards at msi.umn.edu
Thu Sep 6 20:57:38 CEST 2007

Dear Yukihiro,

The answer to your question "can I change atomic mass arbitrary instead of
true atom mass?" is YES! Fastest relaxation is obtained if you set all
atomic masses to the mass average.

Be aware that cell mass is not the sum of the atomic masses. This is the
default and is a terrible choice. This is the most likely reason you have
not noticed andy change in the cell. My suggestion is to start with
wmass==2*10**(-3) and dt=80 and see what happens.

Yours,

Cesar.