[Pw_forum] Stack size error on CVS version

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini zucco at dipteris.unige.it
Wed Sep 5 17:09:52 CEST 2007

Thanks for reply,
On 5 Sep 2007, at 16:56, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2007, at 15:32 , Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the CVS version few minutes ago and after compilation of
>> pwall suite on a MacOSX 10.4.10-intel (with ifort and gcc-4.2, and
>> compiled not as root) I receive an error related to "stack memory
>> size"
>
> no Sir, you received a WARNING, not an error. The code keeps working.
> It just warns you that it cannot remove the stack size limit (the
> stack is a
> part of the RAM. Don't ask me why the RAM is split into "stack",
> "heap",
> and whatnot, I don't know). If everything works, never mind.

unfortunately on my mac doesn't run a all, it crash suddenly.

> If it annoys you, modify the clib/stack.c routine so that it doesn't
> write
> anything, or throw out the standard error output (e.g.: pw.x 2> /dev/
> null).
> Since your stack size seems to be quite big (65Mb) I don't expect any
> problem.
> Should the code require more stack, you are left with the following
> - cursing Intel because their compiler eats up so much stack (useless)
> - cursing Apple because Mac OS-X does not allow users to remove the
> stack size limit (also useless)
> - modifying the clib/stack.c routine so that it determines the maximum
> limit and sets the stack size accordingly (65536kb seems to be the
> maximum for users on Mac OS-X, so it might be useless as well)
> - running with root privilege (dangerous)

This choice at the moment is only a way to understand IF I'm able to
solve with some tricks.

I found an error in compilation in CPV/read_pseudo.f90

if (rgrid(is)%mesh > SIZE(rgrid%r) ) call errore
('read_pseudo','increase ndmx',rgrid(is)%mesh)

maybe is

if (rgrid(is)%mesh > SIZE(rgrid(is)%r) ) call errore
('read_pseudo','increase ndmx',rgrid(is)%mesh)

Thanks

m.

> See also here:
>     http://www.democritos.it:8888/O-sesame/chngview?cn=4710
>
> Paolo
> ---
> Paolo Giannozzi, Democritos and University of Udine, Italy

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini
zucco at dipteris.unige.it
Researcher / Geochemist
Laboratory of Geochemistry
http://www.dipteris.unige.it/geochimica

Visit our BAXEICO computing cluster homepage
http://qed.dipteris.unige.it/ganglia -- out of service

DIPartimento per lo studio della TErra e delle sue RISorse -
Università  di Genova
Tel. ++39 010 3538136 Fax. ++39 010 352169
Corso Europa 26, 16132 - Genova - Italy