[Pw_forum] error

Heather Whitley whitley3 at llnl.gov
Thu Oct 11 20:10:18 CEST 2007

/>I don't think it does, unless you explicitly set the environment
>variable LD to "ld". Could you please provide some evidence
>(i.e. config.log file)?
/
Sure, here is the relevant line from the config.log:

ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=

This doesn't show the problem, however.  The problem lies in the Makefiles, where
$LD is specified as the linker.  If your system uses ld as the default linker,
then you will end up using it in the compilation.  Here's an example:

pw.x : pwscf.o libpw.a $(LIBOBJS)
        $(LD) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ \
                pwscf.o $(MODULES) libpw.a $(LIBOBJS) $(LIBS)
        - ( cd ../bin; ln -fs ../PW/$@ . )

In the non-CVS version of Espresso, this Makefile has this instead:

pw.x : pwscf.o libpw.a $(LIBOBJS)
        $(MPIF90) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ \
                pwscf.o $(MODULES) libpw.a $(LIBOBJS) $(LIBS)
        - ( cd ../bin; ln -fs ../PW/$@ . )

I was able to compile Espresso-3.2, but not the CVS version, and eventually found this difference
with the help of computing support.

I am not sure if I replied to this message in the correct way.  I'm not sure how to make the
messages go into the proper thread.  If someone wants to privately email me that information,
since it's not related to the code, I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

Best regards,
Heather

Heather D. Whitley
Quantum Simulations Group
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, L-415
Livermore, CA 94551
whitley3 at llnl.gov
http://www.llnl.gov/qsg