[Pw_forum] Pw_forum Digest, Vol 5, Issue 53

harman dev cornycoww at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:48:29 CET 2007

Thanks for your reply Mike. Yes I do realize that there are many instances
where the reference is taken with respect to the high-symmetry point K. In
those cases, the x-axis is usually taken as (k-K), where small case k is
some k vector taken with respect to the k-vector that is associated with the
point K found at the corner of the hexagonal Brillouin zone. However what I
do not get is why in the pw.x program, the point K is not something like
(1/2,1/sqrt(3))*2pi/a, in Cartesian coordinates. There are of course other
possible combinations, depending on whether you have defined your real space
lattice vectors using a gamma angle of 120 or 60 degrees. But that should
not negate the fact that the true gamma point should have a k-vector of
(0,0). where one would typically observe a large gap between the pi and pi*
bands. Instead, and as mentioned earlier, the pwscf program (pw.x)
calculates the band eigenvalues at each k-point and as it turns out, it is
at and about the k-point (0,0) that the Dirac cone results. This is what I
find strange and puzzling and I'm wondering if the program makes this
artificial "shift" for computational efficiency purposes or for some other
reason that has eluded me. Thanks to all for your time.

Cheers,
Dev