[Pw_forum] Quad-processor

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 23 19:34:24 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Salvador Meza Aguilar wrote:

SMA> PW forum
SMA>
SMA> Somebody knows if the PWscf works on Quad-Processor?

yes. why not? you have to use MPI and you can run
as many MPI threads as you want per node.

SMA> I think it is possible to run on double processor quad-core, like a 8
SMA> processors.

yes. also this is possible. but you have to expect that the
total performance, may be severly limited by the memory bandwidth
unless you are running _very_ small calculations.

it may be faster to only use half of the cores, though
and benefit from the larger cache per core. please see
the recent discussion on the topic in the mailing list
archives.

cheers,
   axel.