[Pw_forum] ld: cannot find -lmpi_f90

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 22 13:35:18 CET 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, hyello25 Qgrui wrote:

GQ> Hi every pwscf user,
GQ>
GQ>    When I tried to compile pwscf-3.2.3 with openmpi-1.2.4, the error
GQ> "ld: cannot find -lmpi_f90" came out. I had tried many way to solve it
GQ> but failed to find the answer in openmpi forum.Can anyone give me some
GQ> advices about it.

that means, that either you messed up the OpenMPI installation
or are not using the right mpif90 wrapper as linker. since you
don't provide any information about either, there is little we
can do for you. can you compiler/run a simple "hello world" mpi
program with openmpi?

GQ>    My system is emt64 architecture, ifort 10, mkl 9 and icc 10
GQ> compiler, RedHat 4.3 os.
GQ>    I have succeeded to compiler the pwscf code using mpich2. But the
GQ> network data exchange is too large so that the efficiency is low when
GQ> parallel calculation performed.

switching to OpenMPI is not going to change that!
i assume you are using gigabit ethernet interconnect.
but (again) since you don't provide any specifics of
the network, job type and system size, or how you
run pwscf, there is little room for giving any advice.
do you parallelize over k-points (using -npools)?

cheers,
   axel.