[Pw_forum] Problem with nbnd in clusters

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Nov 21 10:39:30 CET 2007

methfessel-paxton smearing is  dangerous (because it is not
positive-defnite) when  k-point sampling is not sufficient.

When dealing with a "fake metal" as your molecule where the Fermi energy
should fall in gap of the spectrum I think it is more advisable to use
simple gaussian or marzari-vanderbilt smearing. The spurious negative
weights of m-p smearing the occupation of levels just above the Fermi
energy can lock some spourios state that shouldn't be there ... If you
have many kpoints this (in my experience... Nicola has a different
opinion) is never a problem.

In any case the  smearing contribution for a molecule should be  zero
... which is not the case in your  output ... particularly so  for the
problematic cases  with 12 or 25 bands..

TEST>  grep -e TS -e ! Fe*.out
Fe_dimer_gamma_nbnd12.scf.out:!    total energy              =
-121.76376536 Ry
Fe_dimer_gamma_nbnd12.scf.out:     smearing contrib. (-TS)   =
-0.00157785 Ry
Fe_dimer_gamma_nbnd20.scf.out:!    total energy              =
-121.76907297 Ry
Fe_dimer_gamma_nbnd20.scf.out:     smearing contrib. (-TS)   =
0.00048313 Ry
Fe_dimer_gamma_nbnd25.scf.out:!    total energy              =
-121.76376546 Ry
Fe_dimer_gamma_nbnd25.scf.out:     smearing contrib. (-TS)   =
-0.00157856 Ry

Does the problem (at least the one with 25 bands) disappears if you use
"m-v" of "gaussian" smearing ?
I would expect so... otherwise there is still something else.
hope it helps,
stefano