[Pw_forum] Gamma phonons in Si lattice

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sun Nov 18 17:18:17 CET 2007

The SC contains 8 atoms since it is four time larger than the 2-atom fcc
cell.
Therefore you MUST have 24 frequency in each point in the supercell BZ...
What they are ? where they come from ?
In order to answer this question take into consideration the fact that
the supercell BZ is four time smaller that the original one because some
q-vectors that would be inside the BZ of  the 2-atom cell have become
G-vectors (i.e. equivalent to Gamma point!) in the supercell.
Check carefully your k-point sampling and other convergence parameters
in your calculation...
there should not be any imaginary frequencies in Si at equilibrium
lattice constant.

Don't forget to indicate your affiliation.

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS