[Pw_forum] QE with ESSL on BlueGene

Dr Brent Walker b.walker at irl.cri.nz
Tue Nov 13 22:42:06 CET 2007

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether QE has been used successfully with the IBM
ESSL libraries on the Blue Gene L architecture (running linux)? Google
unfortunately hasn't provided me with much in relation to this.

I have spent some time trying to get QE (well really PWscf) running on
such a machine and am at the stage of deciding whether to persevere or
just give up and use locally compiled versions of fftw and lapack/blas
(following say the provided "Make.bgl" file, which seems to work fine
for me).

Is this worth pursuing or should I just file it in the "too hard"
basket for the time being? If people think there is some hope that I
can get this to work, I'll provide more details (make.sys, etc.).

Thanks very much for any information/thoughts/anecdotes on this!

Brent.

PS. I have noted AK's comment "good luck (you'll be needing it)"
regarding compilation of QE on BG/L on 31 Aug, which of course doesn't
bode well!

--

Dr Brent Walker
Email: b.walker at irl.cri.nz