[Pw_forum] fixing spin in LSD

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Nov 2 13:11:41 CET 2007

For a magnetic system the code looks for a self-consistent solution.
In many cases this solution is easily found, in some other cases it may
be difficult.
This may be due to the fact that different solutions (with different
magnetizations) are possible and the code is not able to choose. A
possible strategy then is to constrain the magnetization to several
values and calculate the scf solution for each. This allows to
determine, a posteriori, the GS of the system and also have some idea of
the low-lying alternatives that may be of some physical interest.
Constraining the magnetization is one of the several tools we have in
order to ask questions to the system.... answers will be meaningful, if
the questions are.

Stefano de Gironcoli, SISSA and DEMOCRITOS