[Pw_forum] optimization

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sun May 6 20:05:19 CEST 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, ali kazempoor wrote:

ali,

please note, that there is no 'ultimate wisdom' on
how to setup a specific calculation. you usually have
to run a few tests and figure it out for yourself (i.e.
everybody has, with some experience people can make good
guesses, but that does not mean, they have to test it).
what may work well in one case may produce (large) errors
in other cases.

please have a look through the mailing list archives
and see the various recommendations on how to approach
finding out the proper supercell size, number of k-points,
smearing parameter, wavefunction/density cutoff.
all of which can affect the quality of your results.

for people with limited experience (either with the system
they are investigating or the method altogether), it is
usually a good idea to first try to reproduce results from
some other, similar but (computationally) much simpler system
and then try to understand why which parameter works in its
special way and what influences the accuracy. you can see
quite a few of that kind of questions here in the archives.
so don't hesitate to ask if you have a question about a
particular detail, but don't expect that somebody will
eplain your whole project to you, or simply give you
his 'blessing' on your inputs.

best regards,
    axel.