[Pw_forum] Strange behavior of scf calculation under finite-field

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 5 17:03:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, lan haiping wrote:

HPL> Dear All,
HPL>
HPL>   I am studying electric-enthalpy method implemented in pw.x with
HPL> example31.  There are some problems i cannot solve by myself.
HPL> Firstly,  when i set "ecutrho" explictly, calculations under finite-field
HPL> are failed without any complain information, such as CRASH report. My server

please provide an input that can reproduce this.

HPL> is of 8GB memory, and no such crash for other scf calculations . I had tried
HPL> 'cg' and 'david' methods, and cannot solve this  problems.
HPL> Secondly,  when i set occupations to 'mv' smearing scheme with degauss=0.03
HPL> a.u. , the scf calculation of finite-field situation
HPL> is very difficult to reach convergence.  I have tried to increase or

calculations under external field _are_ more difficult to converge.
how does your field strength compare to the value in example31?

HPL> decrease mixing_ndim,  but failed.  Besides, i have tried to increase
HPL> nbnd , which seems no effect on scf convergence.  Would you please give me
HPL> some suggestion on parameters setting for scf calculation under finite-field
HPL> ?

it would be much easier to detect problems or make suggestions,
if you'd post the relevant part of your input file (or another
input that has the exact same problem).

cheers,
   axel.