[Pw_forum] processing large charge_density and spin_density xml files

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 16 17:52:32 CET 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 stewart at cnf.cornell.edu wrote:

DS> Hi everyone,

hi derek.

happy new year.

DS> I have been looking at a fairly large system (160 atoms) with a nanowire
DS> between two (111) leads in PWscf.  I have converged the system, but now I
DS> would like to plot out the charge density.  I have the xml files for charge
DS> density and spin density.  However, I am running into insufficient virtual
DS> memory complaints when running pp.x, even when I run the parallel version.

hmm, you are running binaries compiled with intel fortran, right?
did you try increasing the stack size (using 'ulimit -s')?
what is the exact error message? could you try generating a core dump
(run 'ulimit -c unlimited', then pw.x as usual), then 'idb pw.x core.XXXX'
and on the idb prompt type 'where' to generate a stack trace, so we
can see where it crashes.

DS> Does anyone know if it is possible to read the xml files directly with some
DS> visualization packages (XCrysDens).  The xml files are fairly large (58 MB),
DS> so I may be running into file size limit problems.  Is it always necessary
DS> to run pp.x and then generate plot output?

if the stack size 'trick' does not help, you can think about reducing
the number of grid points used for plotting. in CPMD using half the grid
in each direction (i.e. 1/8th of the data!) is the default and usually
is quite sufficient to get very nice pictures. you should be able to
set the output grid in pp.x, but if that still is not sufficient, you
might want to try as a matter of last resort an NSCF calculation from
a converged potential/wavefunction with a smaller real space density
cutoff (and thus grid) and use that to get the output.

cheers,
   axel.