[Pw_forum] processing large charge_density and spin_density xml files

stewart at cnf.cornell.edu stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Mon Jan 15 04:13:38 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at a fairly large system (160 atoms) with a nanowire
between two (111) leads in PWscf.  I have converged the system, but now I
would like to plot out the charge density.  I have the xml files for charge
density and spin density.  However, I am running into insufficient virtual
memory complaints when running pp.x, even when I run the parallel version.

Does anyone know if it is possible to read the xml files directly with some
visualization packages (XCrysDens).  The xml files are fairly large (58 MB),
so I may be running into file size limit problems.  Is it always necessary
to run pp.x and then generate plot output?

I have been using version 3.1.1 for these calculations.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.
Scientific Computation Associate