[Pw_forum] about the displacive instabilities

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Jan 10 14:35:23 CET 2007

Hi, Li Yan. This is a good question which, I am sure, has been
addressed many times in many places. There are for sure a number of
textbook references. The only one that occurs to me by heart is
unfortunately in French [N. Boccara, Symmetries brisees (Hermann,
Paris, 1976)]. Any textbook dealing with Landau's theory of phase
transitions would do. The literature in the field looks often more
complicated than it actually should. You may want to take a glance at
a pair of old papers of mine where your issue is addressed using
minimum theoretical background.

NARDELLI MB, BARONI S, GIANNOZZI P
HIGH-PRESSURE LOW-SYMMETRY PHASES OF CESIUM-HALIDES
PHYSICAL REVIEW B 51 (13): 8060-8068 APR 1 1995

NARDELLI MB, BARONI S, GIANNOZZI P
PHONON SOFTENING AND HIGH-PRESSURE LOW-SYMMETRY PHASES OF CESIUM IODIDE
PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 69 (7): 1069-1072 AUG 17 1992

Hope you will find something useful in them. If not, I will try to
write a short explanation, but for this you will have to wait for me
to find 1-2 hours of spare time, which is not going to be tomorrow ...

Cheers - Stefano

On Jan 9, 2007, at 8:54 AM, li yan wrote:

> Dear all,
>       Since the displacive phase transition is second order, why
> some first order transitions are considered to be induced by the
> displacive instabilities? would you please give me some advices or
> some reference papers about this?
>
>               best regards
> 赶快注册雅虎超大容量免费邮箱?
> http://cn.mail.yahoo.com

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)