[Pw_forum] Use -npool with ph.x?

Miguel Martínez Canales wmbmacam at lg.ehu.es
Fri Feb 16 17:05:23 CET 2007

Dear fellows,

I've been running some phonons calculations (Itanium 2, Linux, probably
MPICH) and was amazed to see huge differences between serial espresso 3.1.1
runs and parallel 3.2.1 runs. I've narrowed the search, though, and the
problem seems to arise whenever I call ph.x with the "-npool" suffix. Is it
stupid to run ph.x the following way?

mpirun -np 4 ph.x -npool 4 < inpnut > output

Note that this would be running on the same node, with 4 internal ia64
chips. I also would like to note that pw.x seems to run OK.

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

Miguel Martínez Canales
    Dto. Física de la Materia Condensada