[Pw_forum] Bulk chemical potential

degironc degironc at sissa.it
Wed Feb 14 12:06:13 CET 2007

It depends what is your reference gold reservoir.

If it is the gold atoms in the gas phase the bulk chemical potential of
a metal is its
coheive energy: the energy needed to extract an atom from the bulk and
bring it
to infinite distance. Therefore in practice it is the energy difference
between the
energy per atom in bulk gold and the energy of an isolated gold atom in
a large
enough cell.
If your reference system is the most stable form of gold (i.e. the bulk)
its chemical
potential is zero by definition.

stefano