[Pw_forum] [Fwd: paramagnetic structure]

degironc degironc at sissa.it
Fri Feb 9 13:43:51 CET 2007

Dear  Subhradip Ghosh,

This is the problem of describing a disordered system (magnet,  alloy,
... ) using a periodic system.
A classical way is to assume a model, Ising or more refined one like in
the cluster expansion idea
[De Fontaine in Solid State Phys vol 51,  Phys. Rev. B 36, 4163-4185
(1987) or any of the yearly
encyclicals by Alex Zunger on the subject]  calculate a few
configurations that allow you to extract
interaction parameters defining the model and solve the model. This
provides you with the phase
diagram of your system, thus much more than just a single total energy.

If you wish to simulate the disordered state the Special Quasi-random
Stractures (SQS) idea is a
rather clever one [ Phys. Rev. Lett. 65, 353 (1990) and Phys. Rev. B 42,
9622  (1990)].

One important point in favour of supercell calculations (whether used to
extract model parameters or
directly in SQS) vs KKR or LMTO CPA-like calculations is that they take
into accounts the relaxation
around atoms in a proper way, which is usually not the case for KKR or
LMTO CPA-like calculatons.

Notice that if coupling with lattice relaxation is important then the
interatomic interaction constants can
be very long ranged [Phys. Rev. Lett.  66, 2116 (1991),  Phys. Rev.
Lett. 72, 4001 (1994)].

Hope this helps,

  stefano