[Pw_forum] [Fwd: paramagnetic structure]

Malgorzata Wierzbowska wierzbom at ts.infn.it
Fri Feb 9 12:20:25 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Davide Ceresoli wrote:

   Hi Subhradip Ghosh and Davide,

   Take for instance Niobium, 5s^2 4d^{3} -- it looks like unpaired...
   but it is paramagnetic (except some spin-fluctuations which have no
   force to change much in the nonsuperconducting state).
   So my calculations for that are nspin=1. I believe that if I
   did nspin=2 I would get the same but my k-grid would be twice
   bigger and maybe convergence would take a few more iterations because
   there would be more degrees of freedom.

   For metals, the band occupations can be fractional.
   With an open shell singlet (which is the first excited state of
   oxygen) I have no experience with espresso. For such cases I used
   localized basis set programs.

   By the way, this is an interesting question. Does anybody know
   whether it could be calculated with espresso?
   Is any fractional/weighted piece of code there? An implementation of
   fractional DFT by EKU Gross and Oliveira or Agnes Nagy and Theophilou?
   Gosia