[Pw_forum] About ecutwfc and ecutrho again

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 21 13:16:20 CET 2007

On 12/21/07, Huiqun Zhou <hqzhou at nju.edu.cn> wrote:

> Thanks, Nicola and Stefano,
>
> Actually, I was thinking the choice should be the lagest or lagest plus
> alpha.
> The pseudopotentials I'm testing are USPP for iron, chromium, oxygen and
> others, and one of the materials I'm interested is chromite (FeCr2O4). I
> found
> ecutwfc for iron and chromium is indeed around 35 Ry for convergence, but
> over 55 Ry for oxygen. I haven't checked whether I did anything wrong when
> creating potential for oxygen, but it's consistent with the results of
> convergence

if you are using the "bm" vanderbilt oxygen potentials, those were created
with a wavefunction cutoff of 25 to 35 rydberg in mind.

> test for chromite, in which ecutwfc should be set to 55 Ry (ecutrho=600) for
> convergence.
>
> Please comment.

as was already noted. the convergence of the total energy is much
slower as other properties (e.g. forces). so you can get an accurate result
for geometry optimization with much smaller cutoffs for both wavefunction
and density.

to test this, you can build a (distorted) geometry and monitor forces
and/or stress tensor etc. pp.

cheers,
    axel.