[Pw_forum] mixing_beta and mixing_ndim

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Dec 20 18:12:58 CET 2007

I think there is no general strategy.
you can try increasing  mixing_ndim and/or reducing mixing_beta.
Another possibility is to change mixing_mode from "plane" (the default)
to TF or local-TF.
This should help in the case the instability is due to charge sloshing
(large metallic systems)...
A source of instability can be that from one iteration to the next the
list of occupied level
changes... increasing number of bands, number of k-points and/or
smearing width may help.
If your system use gradient corrected functionals and has a lot of
vacuum there may be some
problem related to spurious negative charge that can be  possibly solved
by increasing ecutrho....
It is difficult to give a general advise...
Stefano de Gironcoli,