[Pw_forum] Optical properties

Andrea Ferretti ferretti.andrea at unimore.it
Sun Dec 16 20:03:19 CET 2007

Dear Kesong,

> i.  I tested the epsilon.x, and it could read the outputfile by PWSCF3.2.
> However, it can't read the save file by PW3.0. Is that true?

this is correct,
the format of the restart file used to change rapidly from one version to
another... since espresso-3.2 it is instead indented to be much more
stable and it should be readable also by the next coming versions

> ii. The epsilon.x cann't support the ultra soft PP?

at the moment USPP are not supported: epsilon.x computes the matrix
elements of the momentum p which are difficult to "augment" in the USPP
framework (at least within the data stored in the current
UPF pseudopotential format)...
for the future, note that QE is going to support PAW which is eg one way to
shortcut the problem

note also that the corrections due to the nonlocal terms in the
pseudopotentials are not accounted for;

all the best
andrea

Andrea Ferretti
National Research Center S3, CNR-INFM  ( http://s3.infm.it )
Dip. Fisica, Univ. di Modena e Reggio E. (Italy)
Tel: +39 059 2055301;  Fax: +39 059 374794;  Skype: andrea_ferretti

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments