[Pw_forum] a complex and old question about why the erengy is down when i enlarge one of the crystal lattice

Katalin Gaal-Nagy katalin.gaal-nagy at physik.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Dec 3 11:39:14 CET 2007

Dear Yuehua,

it is true that the ecut gives you the number of plane waves used in the
calculation and a test of ecut (fixed lattice, various values of ecut)
gives you the resolution of the energy in your calculation. More plane
waves (larger ecut) lowers the energy of your system. The variation of the
number of plane waves with a change of the volume at fixed ecut was
discussed in PRB 52, 8160 (1995). There, also some corrections to the
total energy with respect to the change of the number of plane waves are
suggested.  Of course, if you have a calculation which is converged with
respect to ecut, these errors are very small.

So, in order to relax your system you first should test the convergence
with respect to ecut (and the number of k) and with these values you
should relax the system with respect to c/a and the volume of the unit
cell. I suggest to relax the c/a for a fixed volume in order to avoid the
spurious variations with respect to the number of plane waves by looking
at Etot(c/a). This you should do for every volume you consider. Having the
volumes with the correct c/a fixed, you can look at Etot(V) in order to
get the relaxed system.

About the influence of ecutrho I cannot say anything, since it never
played a significant role in my calculations. But maybe someone else could
give further informations.

Good luck,
Katalin

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
, >>>>>>>             Katalin Gaal-Nagy              <<<<<<< ,
,                      Phys.Dept./INFM                       ,
,                    University of Milan                     ,
,                      Via Celoria 16                        ,
,                     +39 02 50317377                        ,
, >>>>>>> katalin.gaal-nagy at physik.uni-regensburg.de <<<<<<< ,
, >>>>>>>   Don't dream your life, live your dream   <<<<<<< ,