[Pw_forum] Angular moment in non-collinear spin-orbit calculations

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Aug 20 13:35:40 CEST 2007

Dera Sasha (?),

the calculation of the orbital contribution to the total
magnetization is not (yet) implemented in QE. Actually, the very
concept of orbital magnetization in an infinite system is subject to
intense theoretical research these days (say for instance Phys. Rev.
Lett. 95, 137205 (2005), Phys. Rev. B 74, 024408 (2006), cond-mat
0705.3771). If you have a magnetic impurity in an extended system, a
reasonable fix would be to calculate the projection of the dos onto
localized orbitals (which, I think, can be done using PROJWFC), and
to get from that an estimate of the orbital magnetization.

Hope this helps
SB

On Aug 20, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Alexander Rudenko wrote:

> Dear espresso users,
>
> I have some question about the possibility of estimating the angular
> component of magnetic moment in non-collinear spin-orbit case. How
> is it
> can to be done within espresso? Or is it not yet realized? As far I
> now,
> the PROJWFC utility gives only the total moment, projected onto atomic
> orbitals, but separation to spin and angular moment is absent there.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> Alexander Rudenko
> Department of Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics
> Ural State Technical University
> Ekaterinburg, Russia

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)