[Pw_forum] Fwd: Phase transtion calculation

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Aug 20 12:54:05 CEST 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Joshi Mitesh wrote:

> Hi users,
>              I am in a learning phase of pwscf and now trying to
> calculate phase transition,
> I take a simple example AlAs and calculate the total energies -
> volume for Zincblende (ZB) and Rocksalt (NaCl) Structures,
> but when I plot Enthalpy ( H = E +PV ) --> P  curve after fitting
> EOS  using ev.x.  the curves  crosses at 0 kbar. which is wrong.
> what shoud be the error ? am I doing a silly mistake ?

Most probably.
Have you tried to repproduce first the E vs. V data of, say, Mujica,
Needs, and Munoz (PRB 52, 8881, 1995)? Have you paid attention to the
fact that the NaCl phase is metallic and requires therefore a special
care for the k-point integration?

Cheers - SB

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)