[Pw_forum] Hubbard U of Zn in ZnO

Yu Xue xueyusally at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 11 17:07:03 CEST 2007

Hello,all,

I am trying to use LDA+U to do some calculations on ZnO.
First,I need to decide Hubbard U of Zn in the scheme of Dr.Cococcioni,see
PRB 71,035105(2005)-----(*)
Everything looks good,just the result is unreasonable:

d(alpha)/d(n)=-440.3838054 eV
d(alpha_0)/d(n_0)= -2.2765143 eV
U=(-d(alpha)/d(n))-(-d(alpha_0)/d(n_0))=2.2765143-440.3838054=-438.1072911
eV

In Shujun Hu's paper,PRB 73, 245205(2006),he mentioned that "The method
mentioned above is invalid to gain the Hubbard Uzn since diagonal elements
indicating the Zn sites in Eq(19) of (*) are close to zero due to fully
occupying of Zn 3d states. " So he uses Uzn as a fitting parameter.I don't
quite understand that,and wonder,then we can't use
constrained-density-functional and linear response scheme to calculate
Hubbard U of Zn?Do we have some tricks to gain Uzn using this scheme?

I appreciate any suggestions from you
Thanks a lot

Sally