[Pw_forum] Lattice Constant Optimization of Aluminum

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Apr 27 13:45:45 CEST 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Paul M. Grant wrote:

> Now, it’s well known that a linear, infinite, periodic metallic
> chain is unstable to dimerization (Peiels-Froehlich or static CDW
> instability) inasmuch as gapping the planar Fermi surface by
> commensurate nesting with respect to the 1D Brillouin zone boundary
> lowers the ground state energy of the system.  That is, all
> (quasi)-1D metals sit on top of a metastable hill in the local
> configurational ground state space and will fall into an insulating
> state under an infinitesimal change in lattice constant, even if
> the new equilibrium is a quasiperiodic chain (e.g., “Fibonacci
> sequence”), if indeed such a thing can exist.  On the other hand,
> in 2D or 3D metals, we’re saved by the fact that most Fermi
> surfaces have a high overall degree of curvature with respect to
> their polygonal BZs, thus suppressing a tendency to nest (the A15
> compounds are somewhat an exception…that’s why they’re strong-
> coupled superconductors).  At the end of the day, at T = 0, all
> Landau-Fermi metals are “gapped” by some arbitrarily weak electron-
> electron interaction…only superconductors, antiferromagnets, and
> possibly ferromagnets can exist (John Hubbard once told me he
> didn’t think itinerant ferromagnets were “real metals.”).
>

> So, what you’re telling me is that pw.x with “relax” will not find
> the Peierls state of a periodic chain of, say, sodium atoms, or
> polyacetylene with equal carbon-carbon bond lengths, but presumably
> “vc-relax” will?  (I tried playing with vc-relax last night on Al,
> but fell asleep on my keyboard before I could get it to work…I’ll
> try again this evening).
NO, I was not saying this. In order to find dimerization (to have the
code find it) you have to double the unit cell and slightly displace
the atoms from their mono-atomic chain equilibrium positions. In
order to relax to the equilibrium lattice constant, you have to allow
the latter to vary (which "cv-relax" does, while "relax" does not).
If you do "relax" on a stable monoatomic chain off equilibrium or on
a Peierls-unstable chain, atoms would not move from their positions,
but for two different reasons (at least, different in my understanding).
> Naturally, I “manually optimized” Al with trial “scf” runs before
> all of this (I should have thought about using Paolo’s equation of
> state fit, but I’d didn’t know it existed within PCscf), and
> believed “relax” sort of worked the same way.  Up at Stanford I use
> the CASTEP geometry optimization package which on simple structures
> “jiggles” all atoms in a symmetry preserving way (i.e., cubic cells
> stay cubic) in its search for local configurational total energy
> minima.  I see now that PWscf separates this task into “relax” and
> “vc-relax.”  By the way, PWscf is a MUCH better computational tool
> than CASTEP, moreover it’s free, but what’s most important, as any
> reader of pw_forum can see, encompasses a far more collegial user
> support community.
We do appreciate your praise, thanks.
>  Sorry for the above polemic, Stefano, but I spent a good deal of
> my life trying to turn quasi-1D metals into superconductors!
I know, Paul. I was, how to say? a bit too pedagogic? too prolix? not
for your sake, but the kids' sake. Hope I was not too wrong!

Ciao - Stefano

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)