[Pw_forum] Work function calculation of CNT

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 20 00:54:20 CEST 2007

Dear Tuo-Hung,

most likely you are not looking at the electrostatic potential
in the vacuum region, i.e. away from the nanotube axis.

For a metallic nanotube, studied using pwscf, and treated as a metal
(i.e. with smearing and fractional occupations), the code at
self-consistency will give you the fermi energy - this is calculated
so that the number of electrons between minus infinity and the fermi
energy is exactly the number of electrons of your CNT, taking into
account the fact that, at finite temperature/broadenings, the occupation
function is not 1 below efermi and 0 above, but is smoothed out by the
thermal distribution.

Now that you have efermi, you need to know the vacuum level, i.e. the
energy of a test charge very far away from the tube:
the work function will be the difference between these two. PWSCF
does not set automatically this level to zero, and it would actually be
a fairly subtle exercise in electrostatics doing so.

So, what you need to do is to plot the electrostatic potential in your
unit cell, making sure that your unit cell is large enough so that your
potential has become flat very far away from the tube.

If your scf calculation is correct, the only thing that can go wrong is
that you are not looking at the potential in the right places.

				nicola