[Pw_forum] Re: Linux ia32 build error - MAIL_ not defined (Paolo Giannozzi)

Davide Ceresoli ceresoli at sissa.it
Fri Apr 13 09:41:19 CEST 2007

Vivian McPhail wrote:

> I tried (1) changing the program name (to foobar), (2) adding "program
> dist" after the last "end", and (3) adding "end program dist" after the
> last end.
>
> (1) and (2) result in the same error message as above.
> (3) produces:
>
> dist.f: In program `MAIN__':
> dist.f:336:
>     end program dist
>          1           2
> Program name at (2) superfluous, no PROGRAM statement specified at (1)
> make[1]: *** [dist.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/espresso-3.2/pwtools'
> make: *** [tools] Error 2
>

> Note that there are two underscores in MAIN__ of the error message.
> whereas in the other error message the linker was looking for a
> definition of MAIN_ with one underscore.  Is there a compiler flag which
> governs the number of underscores?

MAIN_ is the entry-point of the g95 runtime library, whereas
MAIN__ is the entry-point of the g77 r.t. library, which are
vastly incompatible.

Try this:
./configure F77=g95 F90=g95 etc...

see also:
http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2007-February/005859.html
http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2007-February/005863.html
(why you didn't get also the same problems mentioned above?)