[Pw_forum] fqha.x

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 19:38:59 CEST 2007

Hi again,

I found the fqha.f90 code on the forum and compiled it with mpif77 to get the executable.

It is not the same I have been talking about, but it does not matter in this particular case.
Besides, there is no need to compile it using mpif77 or mpif90. Use just a serial version.

I am not a physics major, so I don't understand the code completely.

In this case you will meet lots of troubles. I think it is worth reading some general purpose  textbook  on solid state physics. As example, textbook by Kittel, or Aschroft and Mermin, or  Harrison, or Martin, or Marder  etc.

So, I have a question - please excuse me if it is grossly incorrect. I expect the free energy F to
equal E at zero temperature. But, the F I obtain from the code is positive at T=0 and becomes negative at larger T. Could you please explain this?

According to quantum-mechanical principles atoms in solid states are not frozen at T=0K, but vibrate due to the uncertinity principle of the quantum mechanics, so there is so called zero vibration energy which is positive by its definition (for a stable structure all frequences are positive). At higher T the phonon contribution to the free energy becomes negative.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Thanks,
Shriram