[Pw_forum] Confusion between PWCOND and WANT

Andrea Ferretti ferretti.andrea at unimore.it
Wed Sep 13 11:55:57 CEST 2006

Dear Hai-Ping,

> Basically, both PWCOND and WANT  are post-process tools for  analyzing
> conductance and complex bandstructure. Is it right ?
> While i donot know much the differenc between them, though i read some
> seminal papers about MLWFs and NEGF techniques used in WanT  package.

a small aside note:
the complex band structure calculation is performed only by PWCOND, which
then solves the scattering problem for the system under study and
evaluates the transmittance (as you can find better explained in the papers cited by
Andrea).
WanT solves the same problem but using the "maximally localized" Wannier
function basis + a matrix green function approach (no need here for the
complex band structure)

a short description of the difference between the two approaches can
be also found in a previous post to this forum

http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2006-January/003479.html

cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Ferretti
National Research Center S3, CNR-INFM  ( http://s3.infm.it )
E-mail:  ferretti.andrea at unimore.it

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments