[Pw_forum] help on generating pseudopotential

Miguel Martínez Canales wmbmacam at lg.ehu.es
Tue Oct 31 10:05:15 CET 2006

Hi Vivek,

I would recommend you to first read Paolo Gianozzi's tutorial on
pseudopotentials. It's the TeX file espresso/atomic_doc/pseudo-gen.tex (I'd
generate the dvi file first with pdflatex). This should solve the question:

 > how does one choose occupation, reference energy to pseudize, and
 > cutoff radius for 3D.

Back to:

Vivek Ranjan wrote:
> In particular I would like your comments on why there are two entries for 2S,
> two entries for 2P,

There are two entries for 2s and 2p because it is an ultrasoft
pseudopotential (USPP), note that pseudotype=3. US PP's need more than one
reference energies, which is why you are adding a second one for 2S and 2P
with the pseudization energy =! 0.

All these input parmeters are explained  in the file
espresso/atomic_doc/INPUT_LD1.

Oh! And generating (good) pseudopotentials is not easy, and closer to
cooking recipes than you'd want to.

Miguel MartÃnez Canales
Dto. FÃsica de la Materia Condensada
UPV/EHU
Facultad de Ciencia y Tecnología
Apdo. 644
48080 Bilbao (Spain)
Fax:  +34 94 601 3500
Tlf:  +34 94 601 5437

  "If you have an apple and I have an apple and
  we exchange these apples then you and I will
  still each have one apple. But if you have an
  idea and I have an idea and we exchange these
  ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

George Bernard Shaw