[Pw_forum] why total energy vs. lattice parameter is not a parabola?

H.S.Domingos hsd22 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 14:53:30 CEST 2006

I would suggest that you test all the potentials that you are using
individually. By, for example, making small bulks with just one element.
After you have made certain that the convergence of the cutoffs is
addequate and that the k-point density also converges every calculation,
then you consider a strontium titanate cell with all well tested.
I have had a similar problem with ZnO and it is essential to get
potentials, cutoffs, k-points and geometries right.

I would also warn you that strontium titanate has displacive transitions
and  that for very large bulks your results should be different since
there are coordination polyhedra that will be rotated.

Helder

|  Dr. Helder S. Domingos                                             |
| INESC Microsyst & Nanotechnol, Lisbon, P-1000 Portugal              |
| and                                                                 |
| R&D unit for  Molecular Chemical Physics                            |
| Chemistry Department, University of Coimbra                         |