[Pw_forum] why total energy vs. lattice parameter is not a parabola?

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Oct 20 10:57:12 CEST 2006

Dear Vu Ongphuong,

the explanation goes back to very early days of plane-wave total
energy calculations. The reason is, in order to have a consistent
accuracy at different values of the lattice parameter, a0, a same
kinetic-energy cutoff has to be used for all of them. The consequence
is that the number of plane waves will depend on the lattice
parameter. Being the number of plane waves an integer number, it will
display jumps in correspondence to some values of a0. If the cutoff
is large enough, the jumps will be small and the energy-vs-volume
curve will look like a parabola. If the cutoff is not large enough
_for the given set of pseudopotentials that you are using_, then the
curve will rather look like a sawtooth ... Two fixes are possible: 1)
use a larger cutoff (or a softer pseudopotential), or 2) use some
phenomenological equation of state (such as Birtch's or Murnaghan's)
to fit the sawtooth ...

Stefano

On Oct 20, 2006, at 7:21 AM, vu ongphuong wrote:

> Dear all users,
>
> I calculate the lattice canstant of SrTiO3. When I plot the total
> energy vs. lattice parameter, the shape is not a parabola even the
> lattice parameter is taken in very near-minimum-region. The the
> lattice canstant obtained is 3.851Angstrong (the  experimental
> value 3.905)
>
> When I calculate with VASP package the result is 3.86 and the total
> energy vs. lattice parameter is really a parabola.
>
> Anybody can explain me?
>
> Do you Yahoo!?

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)